Not DEC related but still hoping for some help: Problems w/ LJ 4+ Printer

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Apr 2 17:37:46 CDT 2019

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019, Ali via cctalk wrote:
> While the printer was cold I ran another HV test and interestingly the
> toner drum had a very faint picture on the drum. So it looks like the
> toner is not being deposited on the drum appropriately until something
> "warms up". The question now is, is this a toner problem (since I
> believe the corona wire is in the cartridge) or a HV problem. Since I am
> not getting error codes I am guessing the cartridge is bad for one
> reason or another.... How likely is that in your experience vs. the HV
> board going bad and just not erroring out? Two of the caps look like
> they may have leaked on the HV board (see the stains on the PCB in the
> before picture?). However, I don't see any bulging capacitors or
> anything blown. Thanks.

Since you are presumably going to keep this printer, once you fix it, or
at least use it for large jobs where wasting the first few pages isn't a
big issue, I would suggest getting another cartridge.
You will need it, eventually.
And, it provides a simple test to support or reject the in-the-crtridge
hypoothesis.

Trying another cartridge is almost always one of the first tests.

Those are sweet printers.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com