Daisywhell typewriter emulating a TTY

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Apr 10 12:56:18 CDT 2019

On 4/10/19 10:35 AM, Dave Babcock via cctech wrote:
> To all,
>
> The Computer History Museum's IBM 1620 Jr. project has already done
> this.  We have converted an IBM Wheelwriter 1000 electric typewriter
> into a computer terminal.  The conversion consists of a custom PCB with
> an Arduino Teensy 3.5 microcontroller which is physically installed in
> the typewriter, electrically in-between the keyboard and typewriter
> motherboard, with custom firmware.

Aw, that's too bad!  The original Model I (CADET) 1620 had a console
typewriter (was it based on the IBM Model B electric?) that gyrated
enough, particularly on carriage returns, that made you wonder if it was
going to fly to pieces at any time.  It was all part of the experience.

What did you do about the 1620-specific keys?  I don't think that record
mark or R-S was a keytop legend ona Weheelwriter...

--Chuck