PDP-11/83 w/FPU?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 15:36:16 CDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 2:48 PM W2HX via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> ?Hi friends. I am putting together a PDP-11 set up. i have a few CPUs available to me, a 11/23+, an 11/73 and I also have available to me an 11/83, M8190-AE .
>
> I would like to try to run as many different OS's as may interest me, including some unixes as possible (bsd...etc).  My question is, are there any OSes that need the floating point option?

I know old UNIX (v2) needs a KE11-A or KE11-B (a Unibus peripheral
integer math option), which really wasn't something people
bought/installed in an 11/34 or later.  v5, v6, and v7 UNIX shouldn't
require any sort of math hardware.

Simple OSes like RT-11 do not require it and the The usual DEC
timesharing OSes (RSX-11, RSTS/E...) won't require it,, though you may
encounter a FORTRAN application that was compiled to require it.

-ethan