I'm sharing a toy

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Thu Aug 8 13:51:45 CDT 2019

On 8/8/2019 12:26 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

> Even the crappiest of crap SD cards these days aren't that fragile.
> You'd need to swap on the order of GB/s to wear it out that fast. Most
> of the SD cards can handle hundreds of full drive writes. At 128GB,
> you're looking at needing to generate about ~25TB of effective writes
> before you'd wear them out. Even with a crazy 10x write amp (typical is
> 2-3), there's no way you'd get that through an interface that's measured
> in the tens of MB/s.

I would agree if it was doing a whole disk.
A swap or scatch space on magnetic media got used alot back then.
Time sharing back then was having 16KW and swapping pages back and forth
from rotating media while reading or writing cards.

> Warner

I am not sure of the memory on a PI,but having a good block cache
for the swap segments on disk would useful.

Well the CPU is the easy part. Now what about the front panel. :)

Ben.