Control Data 9766 drive on epay

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 15:55:30 CDT 2019

Pierre,
I would suggest that as you haven't seen one in ages, the price reflects the rarity and the vendor is hoping for a rich collector to buy it.

I don't know off hand of anyone who uses one. I know that the 4341 at LCM uses emulated DASD as does the ICL 2900 at TNMOC in the UK which I think has some EDS300 drives

https://farm9.static.flickr.com/8314/7939054098_08c37818fe_b.jpg

which look almost identical to the CDC drive on E-Bay, there are a few more pics here

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/bletchleypark%2Cicl

There are people using smaller exchangeable drives such as DEC RL01 and RL02 drives, and the similar drives on the IBM1130 and IBM1800 but those are a totally different ball game...

Dave