GW-DEC-1: A New DEC Prototyping Board

Guy Sotomayor Jr ggs at shiresoft.com
Thu Aug 15 11:33:36 CDT 2019

Speaking from experience from having done a few Unibus boards now (none of them available yet unfortunately) that providing a general Unibus interface on a quad board will consume a reasonable amount of the board space and limit flexibility on which driver/receiver/transceiver parts that can be used.  That’s just for the Unibus drivers.  If you want to actually *run* the interface then you’re talking a lot more stuff.

Of course, the boards I’m doing are all SMD (with the exception of the unibus interface parts).  I also have to add in 5v to 3.3v conversion.  Even on a 4 layer board there’s lots of “congestion” which limits the number of parts that can actually placed on the board.  :-(

TTFN - Guy