TRS-80 Fireworks

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757.org
Wed Aug 28 11:06:23 CDT 2019

We were at this HOPE conference in NYC. We were helping with it in those
days, so we had some equipment at the ops area. A whole bunch of commotion
went down in the OPS area, including someone grabbing a fire extingisher
and jumping.

Watching this from a-far, we chuckled and I said, "Good thing this doesn't
involve us."

A few seconds later someone tells me that my TRS-80 model 4 started to let
out a bunch of magic smoke.

I mention it to one of the VCF'ers that was there. I'm pretty sure it was
Glitch. He is like, "Oh that's the rice paper capacitor at postiion C103
or something. A noise filter."

"Do you work on these often?" I reply. I figured this was the ninja of
TRS-80s or something. "No, pretty much never" he says.

Now I'm twice as confused. But whatever. We open the thing up and it is
the exact capacitor he mentioned. We just rmeoved it. And I'm still
confused as how he knew the exact capacitor that went off the top of his
head.

--
: Ethan O'Toole