SMD disks

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Thu Aug 29 23:27:12 CDT 2019

On 8/29/19 9:17 PM, Glen Slick via cctalk wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 4:53 PM Alan Perry via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> My Sun 3/260 came with a pair of 8-inch SMD disks in a separate cabinet.
>>
>> 1. Anyone have a pointer to docs that describe cabling and configuring
>> SMD disks? My Google-fu has failed here.
>>
>> 2. The system came with no cables (external cables between cabinets).
>> Are these standard cables or will they be Sun-specific?
>>
>> 3. The system "ran when parked" about a dozen years ago, but it was left
>> in an open barn after that. How likely is it that the disks will work
>> and be readable? One is a Fujitsu M2333; don't recall what they other
>> one is.
>>
>> alan
>
> It has been over 5 years now since I had a Sun 4/280. I gave that away
> to someone else on the list.
>
> That system had an Xylogics 7053 SMD controller with a couple of
> Hitachi 900MB DK815-10 SMD-E ~8-inch drives. I forget the details now.
>  From a quick look online the Xylogics 7053 SMD controller has a CMD
> port, and a DATA 0,1 and a DATA 2,3 port. If I remember right the CMD
> port was cabled to the CMD in port of the first drive, then the CMD
> out port of the first drive was cabled to the CMD in port of the
> second drive, then the CMD out port of the second drive was
> terminated. The DATA 0,1 port must have had a Y-cable that was split
> to the DATA ports of each drive.

On the controller side, there are two command connectors, one wider than
the other, as well as two data connectors.  On the disk cabinet side,
there is a connector marked 'data 0', connected to one HDD, another
marked 'data 1', connected to the other HDD, and two pairs of command
connectors, one marked 'in' and the other 'out'. I haven't yet followed
the command cabling to see what the connectors connect to.

> There were other Xylogics SMD controllers as well. Which controller do
> you have in your system?

Xylogics 451.