Scanning docs for bitsavers

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Dec 3 02:50:09 CST 2019

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019, Eric Smith wrote:
> There are newer bilevel encodings that are somewhat more efficient than G4
> (ITU-T T.6), such as JBIG (T.82) and JBIG2 (T.88), but they are not as
> widely supported, and AFAIK JBIG2 is still patent encumbered. As a result,

*NEVER* use JBIG2! I hope you know about the Xerox JBIG2 bug (e.g. making
an 8 where there is a 6 in the original). Alone the idea of multiplying
parts from a scan in other areas is a no go. That's not archiving, that's
dumb. Therefore using compression algorithms like the one used in JBIG2
is discouraged or even forbidden e.g. for legal matters.

Christian