8 inch floppies

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Dec 16 12:23:41 CST 2019

On 12/16/19 11:54 AM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 12/16/19 9:02 AM, Eric Dittman via cctalk wrote:
>>
>> I have two Aerocomp flippy drives.  They have two index sensors and
>> two write protect sensors so the disk doesn't need to be punched.  They
>> were in external cases with a system I bought and when I opened them for
>> inspection before use I noticed the extra wires and sensors.
>

> Probably few folks remember what a struggle it was to develop a
> double-sided floppy drive.  It's not just a matter of two identical
> heads, one on each surface...

The system came with a bunch of disks.  I imaged them as single-sided
40-track disks when I first got the system as that's what was normal
for the system and when I looked at the images in an emulator they
looked good.  After I realized the drive were flippy drives I then had
to go through the disks again with the flippy drive to make sure there
wasn't anything on the other side (there wasn't).
--
Eric Dittman