Is IBM RPG classic?

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Mon Dec 16 15:25:26 CST 2019

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 08:40:29AM -0800, Guy N. via cctalk wrote:

> Is it classic enough to ask about on this list?

Older fixed format RPG probably would be.  Modern free format RPG probably
wouldn't be.

> A friend of mine finds himself in the awkward position of being asked to
> take on some RPG programming, but knows nothing about it.

I knew very little about it before we migrated from our IBM mainframe system
running z/OS to an IBM i based system where I work a few years ago.

> Can anyone here suggest some good resources for a crash course in RPG?

It depends on the version and platform.  For free format on an IBM i,
something like:

    https://www.Amazon.com/Free-Format-RPG-IV-Express-Learning/dp/1583474137

and/or

    http://www.RedBooks.IBM.com/abstracts/sg245402.html

might be helpful.  And/or sites like the RPGPGM Blog:

    http://www.RPGPgm.com

and/or RPG Cafe:

    https://www.IBM.com/developerworks/ibmi/rpg/welcome

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.