Bad heads on RL02: Worth replacing

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Mon Dec 16 17:07:24 CST 2019

So one of my RL02 drives (bought on Ebay years ago) is eating RL02
packs. Makes tings, then the disks have errors in my other RL02 drive.
Took a bit to figure out which drive was eating what, but I'm 100%
certain it's this newer drive.

So pulled the heads. The top one had significant gunk on it, the bottom
one a bit. Pics below.

Top: https://i.imgur.com/FELhF9X.jpg
Bottom: https://i.imgur.com/Tmsf5Nd.jpg

With alcohol and lintless swabs I managed to clean both of the heads up.

Top: https://i.imgur.com/gmACM4R.jpg
Bottom: https://i.imgur.com/SfZQV5F.jpg

Then put them back in the drive and mounted a scratch pack. With finger
on the load/run I let the drive spin up and when I heard tinging I
immediately spun down. Hopefully I didn't trash my scratch pack.

Top head has gunk, bottom one had a few flecks, but looks pretty ok.
Top: https://i.imgur.com/EAvgmuH.jpg
Bottom: (picture didn't upload)

Obviously the head is crashing, any idea why and if it's worth replacing
the head or should I put this drive out for parts? Yes I cleaned the
RL02 pack before putting it in.

Never dull.
CZ