Mounting HP7970e 9-Trk 1/2" Tape Drive

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Tue Feb 5 19:53:25 CST 2019

On 05/02/2019 20:59, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 2/5/19 12:19 PM, Jack Harper via cctalk wrote:

>> I learned that very quickly - If you open the front of the Drive and
>> swing out the door with the electronics, drive motors etc, it is
>> definitely heavy enough to tip a rack.
>>
>> I bolted the destination 19" rack down to the concrete floor with 3/8"
>> bolts.  It will not, I hope, soon go anywhere.
>
> After struggling years earlier with getting a Fujitsu drive into a rack
> by my lonesome, I was determined not to repeat the process. The rack,
> VTW, is from an old HP Storage Array, which has a nice anti-tip pullout
> on the bottom.
>
> I constructed a dolly for the HP drive that allows me to roll it around
> where I need it. It's low enough that it can slip under a table.

Some years ago, Jay recommended a Genie Load Lifter to me (thank you!),
and I was fortunate enough to get two of them as "new old stock" for
about half price.  They're relatively inexpensive and absolutely
invaluable.  Put a 200lb unit into the top of a full height rack?  No
problem.  Shame I had to leave both behind when I left that employment
(especially since they bought a third one but never used it)!

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull