DEC Rainbow software (was Re: Looking for: 68000 C compilers)

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 16:33:27 CST 2019

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 5:16 PM Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>> > Does anyone have copies of any of the following...
>> >    * Lattice C
>>
>> Entirely randomly, I just opened a box I received today.  Expected in
>> the box was the DEC Rainbow.  Unexpected was an original box of
>> Lattice C 2.15 for 8086 - docs and original floppies plus safety
>> backups.   Also a surprise - it's all in a Lifeboat Associates binder.
>
> Cool beans. Is it copy protected?

I don't think so.  The box had backup floppies and I don't think this
was one of the "make a single copy for archive purposes" nonsense that
hit early MS-DOS titles.

> Sometimes I think it would be cool to have an archive of early commercial s/w for the Rainbow somewhere...

There isn't one?

Well... I haven't been big on the Rainbow in the past but I see in this box:

Rainbow 100 MS-DOS Operating System Version 2.05
AUTOSORT-86 for Rainbow 100
Microsoft Multiplan-86 Spreadsheet for Rainbow 100
Rainbow CP/M-86/80 Operating System Version 2.0
Lattice C 2.15
Microsoft MBasic-86 BASIC Interpreter for Rainbow 100

and from another source, I have an original Infocom title for Rainbow
(presumably runs under DOS not CP/M).  Infocom game files are not
difficult to source but a disk image of one for a Rainbow would be
uncommon.

At the moment, I haven't finished building my "media imaging box", a
long-standing project that I really ought to kick into the priority
lane.

-ethan