PDP-11 disk image question

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 18 20:35:49 CST 2019

On 2/18/19 9:02 PM, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Feb 18, 2019, at 8:18 PM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 2/18/19 7:39 PM, Paul Koning wrote:

>>> TU58, no -- that's not a file structured device on RSTS.  RX33 is an RX50 in a different physical package if I remember -- 800 block MSCP device.  That works fine, subject to the necessary tricks to get the files on the floppies and do the switching.
>>
>> No, RX50 was a strange DEC format.  RX33 is a 1.2M floppy.
>
> Ok.  That's may be big enough without volume switching, but in any case, if it speaks MSCP, RSTS will support it.  (Well -- more precisely, if it speaks MSCP and have fewer than 2^23 blocks.)

Works off of an RQDX3 or one of my Andromeda cards.  Both MSCP.

>>> You mean build an initial system on a small disk, and then load the rest onto a big disk some other way?  Sure, that should work fine.
>>
>> I was thinking build a minimal system on a smaller disk and
>> and then use it and backup to move the RA81 system to real
>> hardware and then use that for playing with.
>
> Yes, that will be fine.  If the disk is RL02-ish in size it will be ample for this purpose.  Even something as small as an RK05 can probably be  made to do a basic job.

I have a couple of RD31's.  They are 20M.
I have one RD33 which is 71M.  Only possible problem is the Micronotes
claim it was never released by DEC so I may find it is not supported.
But I will likely try the RD31 and see what happens.

bill