PDP-11 LDA BFD backend for gnu binutils

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Feb 24 20:04:36 CST 2019

> On Feb 24, 2019, at 1:41 PM, Fritz Mueller via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 24, 2019, at 10:16 AM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>> What LDA do you have in mind?  Absolute loader binary, for bare metal execution?
>
> I had in mind absolute loader binary for bare metal as a starting point.

That sounds straightforward.

> I am mostly interested in assembly development for my purposes, but it looks like others have been having pretty good luck with recent gcc on the pdp11-aout target as well.

For the purpose of running the execution tests in the gcc test suite I use a small Python program to convert a.out to a bare metal load tape.  It's a bit clunky and it would be cleaner if bfd knew how to do this.  So I'd have a use for what you're proposing.

I probably wouldn't use it for assembly work, though; the gas assembler is too strange for one trained on DEC tools.

	paul