PDP-11/45 RSTS/E boot problem

Fritz Mueller fritzm at fritzm.org
Tue Jan 1 17:33:27 CST 2019

> On Dec 31, 2018, at 8:43 PM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> In the RKDS: bit 7 has changed the definition slightly ("Drive Ready" to
> "R/W/S Ready"), but seems to be basically the same. In the RKCS, bit 9 is
> "Read/Write All" in the -C, and unused in the -D; bit 12 is "Maint" in the
> -C, unused in the -D.

Thanks for digging that out, Noel.  I didn’t know that the RK11-D didn’t have “all” mode — its actually pretty handy for recovering slightly corrupted sectors.  Also, the older RK11 static MAINDEC actually does quite a lot with maintenance mode, without needing a working drive attached.  I suppose that test coverage is lost with the RK11-D?

  --FritzM.