Motorola M88K books & user manuals (looking for)

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 21:48:17 CST 2019

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 7:18 PM Jim Manley via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> RISC was never just about compiler and hardware simplification for improved
> performance of the most frequently-executed instructions.  It's also been
> front-and-center in low-power (e.g., mobile) and embedded (now including
> Internet of Things) applications, which each far outpace the number of
> devices produced for traditional desktop and top-end computing
> (high-performance computing, originally aka supercomputers).  It's a big
> reason why no one is using Windows Phones, or IoT components based on
> x86/x64 hardware today.

Windows Phones were almost entirely (if not completely) based on MIPS and
ARM processors.

> Microsoft and Intel made big bets on their accumulated legacy code and
> hardware bases being shoehorned into everything imaginable, with what
> should have been obviously poor results for most of the application areas
> pursued.

OK... what does this have to do with RISC?

> Anyone remember trying to run Excel on a Windows Phone with
> largely the same mess of menus, submenus, subsubmenu items, dialogues,
> etc., as on the desktop version?

Yep.  That sure was a thing that existed.

> IoT devices like door locks don't need
> scads of registers, instructions, caches, etc., and can you imagine an
> Apple or Galaxy Watch with cell capability running on a multicore x64
> processor with a battery smaller than that for a vehicle?

So should I be running Excel on an IoT door lock, then?  I'm confused.
Were we talking about RISC?

> A Blue Screen of Death is truly fatal for a product that depends on an
> embedded device, like an ATM in the middle of dispensing over half a grand
> in cash, a DVR in a satellite TV receiver that requires upwards of ten
> minutes to restart and get back to where the viewer was (minus the
> permanently lost live recorded cache), or a self-driving vehicle at any
> speed above zero.  Yes, BSoDs continue to happen when memory runs out
> before users run out of things they want to do all at one time.  Windows
> systems can still routinely get to the point where it becomes impossible to
> dismiss a modal dialog, close a tab or window, bring up the Start menu or
> Task Manager, or other critical user interface element actions that should
> always be instantly accessible.  This lack of attention to user experience
> is endemic to the Wintel way of doing things, going back deep in the
> estimated ~100 million lines in their code base.

Good thing RISC solves all of these... uh, problems, then.  You should
probably send this mail to Microsoft so they can change their ways.

> The x86/x64 instruction set complexity hasn't been helpful in reducing the
> security vulnerability of software running on those architectures, either.
> The multiple parallel pipelines that make possible speculative execution of
> a number of branches before associated decisions are computed, have
> resulted in the whole new class of security vulnerabilities such as
> Meltdown, Foreshadow, and Spectre.  This isn't limited to x86/x64, however,
> as the most recent multicore ARM processors have also fallen victim to such
> issues, they've just been late to the game as the most advanced (and
> complex) features have been pursued (somewhat for me-too marketing
> purposes), so fewer families/generations have been affected.

Yes, as you say this is in no way a problem specific to any given
architecture, it's endemic across many processor implementations that
involve speculative execution.  What exactly is your point?

- Josh