Documentation for Xebec Owl (a 1984 SASI-disk-drive)

Tom Gardner t.gardner at computer.org
Thu Jan 10 12:30:15 CST 2019

In early 1984 I was in discussion with Jim Toreson of Xebec about selling
them Shugart Corp's SA700 drive mechanics for use in the Owl.  He went his
own way and I'm pretty sure the Owl embedded the controller into the drive
eliminating the ST-506 style interface.  That would account for the
additional firmware.

Toreson moved Xebec to Nevada and he is still there, see:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jim-toreson-a514128/

Maybe he can identify an old engineer with some info in his/her attic or
garage ;-)

Tom