Orphan HP Alphaservers looking for a new home

Jim Manley jim.manley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:04:49 CST 2019

Hi Andrew,

If it’s any consolation, the users of these components will be high school
students in an extremely rural area at the lowest level of poverty in the
U.S.  The students are eager to learn  computing and networking principles,
and these will provide opportunities for that in spades.

The performance level of these, compared with current technology, is
unimportant, as getting the right answers is more significant than how fast
they were computed.  These components were used for data services, so that
fulfills the trifecta of computing, data structures, and networking (and at
fiber channel speeds, AIUI).

We’ll make some videos eventually as they puzzle their way through getting
software licenses acquired and installed, things are configured to work
together, and we get proof-of-life command line prompts.

I hope you are able to acquire your own Alphaservers and whatever other
techno-toys you covet in the near future.

All the Best,
Jim