11/70 - original or 570 model more desirable?

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 12:06:42 CST 2019

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:57 PM Glen Slick via cctech <
cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 7:49 PM Bill Degnan via cctech
> <cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> >
> > Random question
> > would you prefer having, if you had to pick only one, the original PDP
> > 11/70 or the newer "blue cabinets" PDP 11/70, assuming both were complete
> > configurations with racks of storage etc as they would have been sold,
> more
> > or less.
>
> Random question:
> Would you have bought this one if it were maroon instead of blue?
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEC-PDP-11-70-Datasystem-570-/113553953503?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true

Not for $9800, can't afford that much dough.  The paddle color does not
mean as much to me, more interested in whether it's serviceable and
supportable.  I don't really have a strong preference other than "can I
make this run and do something with it".  I just wanted to be sure I was
not missing something about the 570 to justify what seems to me to be a
high price.  There is nothing that I could easily find that distinguishes
the 570 from the original version.
Thanks for replies...
Bill
Bill