Scanning question (Is destruction of old tech docs a moral crime?)

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Tue Jul 23 21:07:19 CDT 2019

On Jul 20, 2019, at 8:00 PM, Guy Dunphy via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

>> While I agree that making a non-optimal digital copy in such cases, is,
>> well, non-optimal (because for _many uses_, the basic information is still
>> available, wheras for many important documents, not even that remains),
>> there's no way it's "right up there with genocide" - and if you really
>> think so, you definitely need to examine your sense of scale, because it's
>> seriously defective.
>>
>> 	[name removed]
>
> I agree that when historical documents are lost without even any kind of
> digital copy made, that's the worst.
>
> However I was pretty careful to preceded that quoted paragraph with conditionals.

Nonetheless, comparing some small amount of lost information to genocide, which is a real thing that has happened and is still happening in the world today, and which has affected people on the list and those they are close to, is more than a bit offensive.

Please be more considerate of this and, as was suggested by the person whose correspondence you posted, examine your sense of scale.

  -- Chris