Scanning question (Is destruction of old tech docs a moral crime?)

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 24 13:30:43 CDT 2019

On 24/07/2019 09:45, Dave Wade via cctalk wrote:
> I think you folks are forgetting that often the choice is scan and have a
> record, or just put it in for pulping.
> Storing paper is not easy and not cheap. I deeply regret binning my Wireless
> World magazines from the 1970's or 1980's but there is no way I could keep
> them
> When I offer documents on here or other platforms frequently no one is
> prepared to take them (I am in the UK).
> The same goes for some physical objects such as printers.

Indeed. I would bet that, even if you only counted those bits of
paperwork that lasted beyond the 10 year mark (i.e. discount those that
are destroyed early on by the end user), the vast majority end up in
recycling because the owner sees no value in them anymore and they're
just taking up space. Most people only scan if they cannot find what
they want after a web search (since that's much easier than scanning a
document) or if the scan they find is inadequate in some way. It's not
likely that much more than a handful of any given document have been
destroyed just to be scanned.

Scanning them preserves them (albeit imperfectly) potentially for a long
time to come.

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini