setting reply to in VMS 5.x MAIL

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 12:06:08 CDT 2019

> > > To: cctech <cctech at classiccmp.org>
> > > Subject: setting reply to in VMS 5.x MAIL
> > >
> > > Is there a way to set the reply-to value in VMS 5 mail?  I want to
> send mail as
> > > SYSTEM but anyone who receives the message on the outside world who
> > > wants to reply I'd like it go to to a different email address.
> > >
> > > I am working to solve the problem myself, but if anyone knows already
> and
> > > can help save me the time :-)
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Bill
> >

> VMS MAIL has no concept of reply-to headers.  If a "foreign mail protocol"
> is being used from within VMS MAIL (in%, pmdf%, mx%, or smtp% for example),
> that protocol may provide a way of setting a reply-to header, typically by
> defining a specified logical name before running VMS MAIL.
>

> <snip>
> ... smtp%
> is provided by Process Software's Multinet SMTP client to add SMTP
> capability
> to VMS MAIL.

Peter

I have Multinet SMTP and when I send a message externally I use

SMTP%"bill at myemail.net"

I looked within MULTINET and was able to edit the gateway rules but I did
not see how to define a reply-to from the config menu.  I want the replies
to emails generated by the VMS Mail server go through an external email
server as a way to control SMTP hijacking.

for example, if I log in as SYSTEM and send a message to someone it shows
up as
SYSTEM at MICROVAX3100.VINTAGECOMPUTER.NET     (the subdomain I have set for
the server)

I have the system blocking mail unless it comes from a single address (not
listed here), which then forwards to the SYSTEM account.  The MULTINET
server is set to only accept SMTP from the one domain I have set up for
this purpose.

So when someone replies to an email from the server I don't want the reply
to come from the actual sender or it will bounce.  I want it to
automatically reply-to the alias domain I have in place.    Works great
except that a person needs to know to change the reply-to address to the
alias.

You showed me this:
$ MULTINET CONFIGURE /SERVERS
> SERVER-CONFIG> DISABLE SMTP
> SERVER-CONFIG> RESTART

...is there a SERVER-CONFIG that defines reply-to?

Bill