M7264 Troubleshooting

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Jun 7 19:35:14 CDT 2019

    > From: Mister PDP

    > Wow, I wasn't aware that the ODT console needed memory to run.

It was news to me too! (And apparently to most others here too?)

I was going to look at those confusing bus cycles, using an only slightly
mis-addressed console, and wanted to first check that that console worked when
properly configured; so I plugged in it and an LSI-11/2 CPU - nothing.
Switched to a different CPU (maybe the first one died), _still_ nothing? So I
tried an -11/23, ODT worked! So, the console worked; the chances of two CPUs
that were working a week ago suddenly both dying seemed slim... what else
could it be?

And the /23 works with no memory! Odd. Will definitely have to make a note
of that LSI-11 behaviour on the CHWiki.

    > I plugged in my 32kw module with my M8017-AA, and it fired right up to
    > ODT without a hassle.

Yee-hah!!! EXCELLENT!!!

Well, it took a while, but we finally got there! Do let us know how it goes
with your next steps - and if you have an issue, let us know! (Hopefully, next
time, we won'tbe so clueless! :-)

      Noel

PS: Might be useful to check that the DLV11-J works; having a stock of known-good
boards you can swap in is such a tool for QBUS debugging.