Modems and external dialers.

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Jun 10 08:44:50 CDT 2019

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 01:57:34PM +0200, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
[...]
> I just wish a few more companies thought like Planet Computers and tried to
> make devices for rich niches, rather than the cheap mass market...
> https://planetcom.squarespace.com/

So long as said companies don't just make yet another Android device based on a
cheap-and-nasty Mediatek SOC which requires proprietary Android-only drivers to
work well, and then make misleading claims about Linux support.

The Gemini's keyboard was very much a take-my-money-now feature when I saw it,
but since it was being crowdfunded on Indiegogo, the platform for stuff too
dodgy for Kickstarter, I decided to exercise caution and wait to see what, if
anything, would be delivered. When they finally admitted it had a Mediatek
chipset, I lost all interest. Been there, done that, never again.

Planet are right now crowdfunding their new "Cosmo Communicator". They have
apparently learned nothing as it also has a Mediatek chipset, and yet they
continue to disingenuously claim Linux support. I shall be giving this one a
wide berth too.

Third time lucky, eh? Maybe they should start talking to the Raspberry Pi
people who actually know a thing or two about getting Linux working well on
mobile chipsets.