Wanting to get my first classic computer

Ray Jewhurst raywjewhurst at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 22:07:55 CDT 2019

Hello all, I have been a student of computer history for years but have
only learned how to use classic machines vicariously through emulation.  I
would really like to get my own classic computer but I don't know where to
begin.  For one, I am on a very limited income and two I don't have a lot
of space and finally I don't have much knowledge on the finer points of the
older hardware i.e. terminals networking, etc.  I would really like a
Vaxstation but I have also considered a '90s workstation such as an SGI
Indy or a SparcStation.  I am pretty fluent in both VMS and Unix so any of
those would work.  So where do I look besides e-Bay?  I see some available
here but none near me.  I'm in the Detroit area.  Any advice would be
appreciated.  I do know that I do now want a Mac or old PC.  I would like
something more exotic.  (Although it might me neat to own a Rainbow.)

Thanks

Ray