Wanting to get my first classic computer

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Jun 18 22:53:41 CDT 2019

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 8:08 PM Ray Jewhurst via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Hello all, I have been a student of computer history for years but have
> only learned how to use classic machines vicariously through emulation.  I
> would really like to get my own classic computer but I don't know where to
> begin.  For one, I am on a very limited income and two I don't have a lot
> of space and finally I don't have much knowledge on the finer points of the
> older hardware i.e. terminals networking, etc.  I would really like a
> Vaxstation but I have also considered a '90s workstation such as an SGI
> Indy or a SparcStation.  I am pretty fluent in both VMS and Unix so any of
> those would work.  So where do I look besides e-Bay?  I see some available
> here but none near me.  I'm in the Detroit area.  Any advice would be
> appreciated.  I do know that I do now want a Mac or old PC.  I would like
> something more exotic.  (Although it might me neat to own a Rainbow.)

All the cool kids had DEC Rainbows... though to be honest, maybe I'm biased
since the DEC Rainbow 100B was my first computer and I'm currently on a DEC
Rainbow VENIX boondoggle trying too reconstruct frmo v7 and sys III sources
now available the original Venix 86R source code... :)

Though I'm sure all that other stuff is cool too...

Warner

P.S. I had a VMS Forever bumper sticker on my car for a few years thanks to
an ex-girlfriend that knew me tooo well :)