VENIX on Rainbow (was Re: Wanting to get my first classic computer)

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 09:56:54 CDT 2019

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 9:09 PM Ethan Dicks via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 8:47 PM Cameron Kaiser via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> > > Interesting.  I have VENIX on a Professional 350 (it was one of the
> > > machines I had on display for VCF East).  I haven't tried fiddling
> > > with VENIX on a Rainbow, though I did know it existed.
> >
> > Venix/PRO on a 380 here. I like it. Thinking about ways to make it
> > primitively networked.
>
> There is a DECNA, if you can find one.  It should work for 2.9BSD or
> 2.11BSD so it wouldn't be that hard to adapt to Venix, I'd wager.
>
> Outside of that, SLIP/PPP?  UUCP?
>
> -ethan

I'm really glad to see this discussion; I have a PDP-11/23+ waiting to be
poked at, but didn't know about the Professional at all; it's interesting
to see that Venix can run on the /23+ as well.

Whether it's a good choice of OS (compared to, say, 2.9BSD) or not I don't
know.

--
        Eric Christopherson