unix developed on 11/20 with 20 on panel or machine that just said pdp/11?

Steve Malikoff steven at malikoff.com
Fri Jun 21 19:21:36 CDT 2019

Warren said
> According to this page that Dennis Ritchie wrote, the original PDP-11
> they used was indeed an 11/20 but it was before there were PDP-11 model
> numbers:
>
> https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/picture.html
>
> And, of course, the PDP-7 Unix development came before the PDP-11 version :)
>
> Cheers, Warren

It states that their 11/20 had a KS-11 memory management unit, was that mandatory for running v1 Unix on an 11/20?

The 1971 Unix Programmer's Manual mentions their 11/20 had 24 KB (surely KW?) memory rather than 28KW.
https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/1stEdman.html

Having recently acquired a 3rd-party 8KW unibus memory module (stack + drivers + control, all integrated into a
DD-11-sized form) that is the same model and brand as the 16KW unit in my ex-BHP steelworks FOX 2 (11/15), perhaps
there is the very, very slim hope that if the whole thing works it might be enough to run v1 someday. That day
however is a long way away, but I think I now have most of the hardware needed.

Steve.