DECnet License for older VAX VMS

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 6 17:37:36 CST 2019

On 06/03/2019 23:22, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> On 03/06/2019 04:07 PM, Brian Roth via cctalk wrote:
>> Hello,I have a current hobbyists license for OpenVMS 7.3 and a
>> handful of simulated VAXen. I wanted to add my simulated 11/780 and
>> 11/782 to my DECnet and wondered if there was a (legal of course)
>> license workaround to install networking on an older version such as
>> 4.4. The current PAKS will not work.Brian.
>
> My discussions 4 ~ 6 month ago with people from the Hobbyist License
> program told me that I could (re)use my single hobbyist license on
> multiple VAXen, physical and / or virtual.
>
> If you are worried or want confirmation, please send the contact for
> your existing license an email.  Or go through the Hobbyist License
> front door and inquire.
>
> They were quite friendly and seemed happy to answer my questions. The
> worst was the sometimes multi-day turn around time.  But I'm not
> complaining for something free.  :-)

If you go back far enough in time (i.e. before V5.0 iirc) then there
were no licence paks. Instead you had tapes that would allow more logins
or more networking. For anything else, if you had the media, you could
install (although to be legal you were supposed to have a licence).

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini
antonio at acarlini.com