Pioneers of computing

wrcooke at wrcooke.net wrcooke at wrcooke.net
Sun Mar 10 22:11:53 CDT 2019

> On March 10, 2019 at 9:30 PM Guy Dunphy <guykd at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>

> At 06:59 PM 10/03/2019 -0400, you wrote:

> >> So do have more information on said device?
> >> I am using a 2901 bit slice and that came out in 1975. :)
> >> Ben.
> >
> >Here is a little bit of info on it:
> >http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/ti_cal-tech1.html
>

> That's fascinating, thanks. I'd never heard of it.
>
> The Intel 4004 came out in 1971. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_4004
> I'd understood that was the first chip that could be considered a 'processor' (though it required some support chips to do anything.)
> The TI Cal-Tech design was begun in 1965 and they had a working calculator in 1967. I wonder if the chips in that had any kind of code programmability?
>
> Guy

I have seen some claims that this was the first microprocessor -- although not a single chip
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Air_Data_Computer

Will

"He may look dumb but that's just a disguise."  -- Charlie Daniels

"The names of global variables should start with    // "  -- https://isocpp.org