Pioneers of computing

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Mar 11 12:39:25 CDT 2019

> On Mar 11, 2019, at 1:13 PM, Robert Feldman via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 17:18:26 -0400
>> From: Murray McCullough <c.murray.mccullough at gmail.com>
>

>> Back in 1965 Jack Kilby, Jerry Merryman and James Van Tassel at texas
>> Instruments
>
> Merryman died on February 27.
>
> From the New York Times (March 7, 2019):
> Jerry Merryman, Co-Inventor of the Pocket Calculator, Dies at 86
> https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/07/obituaries/jerry-merryman-dead.html
>
> Bob

The WSJ had a very nice obit on him in the weekend issue.  One interesting tidbit is that he learned electronics as a teenager by reading Terman's Radio Engineer Handbook.  Wow.

I have that book.  It's a professional engineering textbook.  I would hesitate to use it as an undergraduate college text (though it might have served in Merryman's youth, given that schools tended to teach better).  I learned electronics as a teenager also, but I certainly didn't use anything as tough as Terman -- I had a book aimed at youth and graduated from there to the ARRL Radio Amateur Handbook.

	paul