2.11 BSD on an 11/93 with an CMD SCSI Module

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 16 10:42:19 CDT 2019

On 3/16/19 11:16 AM, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 8:09 AM Bill Gunshannon via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org <mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 3/16/19 9:48 AM, Warner Losh wrote:
>      >
>      >
>      > On Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 7:19 AM Bill Gunshannon via cctalk
>      > <cctalk at classiccmp.org <mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>     <mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org <mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >
>      >     ------------
>      >     Hunk #11 succeeded at 1075.
>      >     Hunk #12 succeeded at 1250.
>      >     Overdue "---" at line 782--check line numbers at line 773.
>      >     -----------
>      >
>      >
>      >     Has no one else noticed that a number of these patches fail?
>     I am
>      >     continuing to apply them and just hoping that I don't run into a
>      >     point where one of the failures brings them all to a screeching
>      >     halt.
>      >
>      >
>      > A number of them require manual shell commands before applying,
>     which
>      > makes the process harder than you'd expect.
>      >

>     Doesn't say anything about that in the accompanying text, either.
>

> The patches were sent out by email with instructions on how to apply
> them. This went on for years by different people so that process wasn't
> uniform. I ran into this when I wanted to quickly create a bad
> 2.11github repo... I thought it would be quick, but quickly turned into
> a pita.

Well, I made it thru.  Haven't tried moving it to a real PDP-11
yet but will try this weekend.  Not sure what the patches that
didn't work actually do, so9 I hope it's nothing that will bite
me later.  Still need to config and build a real kernel as I am
still using the GENERIC but I will likely let that wait until I
have it on the real PDP-11 where it will be running so that I can
match the kernel to the hardware.

Now I need a program that can move Tape data back and forth between
real drives and tap/tpc images.  Anybody got one?

Also want to look at building the tools to do Ultrix-11 installs
from VTServer as the number of real tape drives is rapidly decreasing.

Hoping that 2.11 BSD will make a nice platform for doing a lot of this.

bill

'