What 6502 macro assembler was used for the AIM-65 Monitor ROM?

wrcooke at wrcooke.net wrcooke at wrcooke.net
Fri Mar 22 06:54:06 CDT 2019

> On March 21, 2019 at 4:47 PM Will Cooke via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>

> > On March 21, 2019 at 4:20 PM Glen Slick via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> >

> > Anyone know what 6502 macro assembler was used for the AIM-65 Monitor
> > ROM, as shown in the AIM-65 Monitor Program Listing manual, document
> > number 29650N36L ?
>
> I would suspect it was the Rockwell System 65 Development System assembler mentioned in this book:
>

> https://www.commodore.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/1981_Rockwell_Electronic_Devices_Division_Data_Book.pdf
>
> on page 295

On further investigation I found this line on Rich Cini's site:

I also recently received recompilable copies of the AIM monitor ROM in an A65 version and a TASM version. Here's a cached copy of A65 v1.04, the assembler used for the A65 source files. The TASM files can be compiled using the Telemark table assembler (TASM) from Squak Valley Software. My personal preference is TASM, which I use for all of my 6502- and 8080-based cross-assembly projects.

Here's the link: http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/systems.htm#RWS
So perhaps the A65 assembler  listed there is the correct one?

-Will

"He may look dumb but that's just a disguise."  -- Charlie Daniels
"The names of global variables should start with    // "  -- https://isocpp.org