George Comstock

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 04:58:09 CDT 2019

Den tis 26 mars 2019 kl 18:08 skrev Chuck Guzis via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org>:

> On 3/26/19 8:53 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
> >
> https://www.almanacnews.com/news/2019/03/25/george-comstock-silicon-valley-pioneer-and-portola-valley-civic-leader-dies
>
> Thanks for that--I remember George well.

While restoring a Diablo HyType II printer back to operation I spent some
time researching about Diablo and came across this interview with George
Comstock.
https://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/access/text/2015/07/102658008-05-01-acc.pdf

Very interesting reading.

During this work I also understood that the wiki page on Daisy Wheel
printing was wrong since they attributed the invention of the Daisy Wheel
printing technology to the Qume founder, David Lee. From reading the
interview with George Comstock it is evident that the true inventor is
Hungarian born Dr Andrew Gabor.  A week ago I finally updated the wiki page
to reflect this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_wheel_printing If
someone else has more information and details it could be worthwhile to
update the page yet more.

Here is btw my HyType II printing som ASCII art.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=C5bodpSsFl8 Nice printer.
The servo system designed by Andrew Gabor works very well. The speed of the
carriage when it moves back to the home position makes you keep fingers on
your back not touching anything...