2.11 BSD on an 11/93 with an CMD SCSI Module

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 15:29:53 CDT 2019

On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 12:50 PM Bill Gunshannon via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> It's been a fun journey but I finally have 2.11 BSD (Patchlevel 431)
> running on my real 11/93.
>
> On to the next challenges.
>
> Does anyone know which serial device I should configure for in order
> to get the other serial lines working?  Everything I read says they
> are DL lines and calls the builtin controller a DLV22.  There is no
> such device in the 2.11 config.  Any suggestions?

I believe the console plus the seven additional serial lines show up as
individual DL11 units; these are configured via the NKL parameter in your
kernel configuration.  Set it to 8 and see what happens...

> Also having trouble with the ethernet.  It won't come up.  Are there
> network modules that do not work under 2.11?

Can you elaborate as to what you're doing here (what hardware, how you're
bringing it up, etc) and what errors you're getting or what behavior you're
seeing?

> Any chance that any of this will be fixed if I go ahead and patch it
> up to 450?  I was holding out doing the additional patching until I
> had everything running but maybe because the 11/93 was the last PDP-11
> made maybe there is stuff in there that was added later.
>
> I plan to go at it slowly as I had a lot of patches that failed when
> I was doing this on a simulator but I want to try and get all of them
> to work on this system.

It can't hurt anything, but my guess is that it's unlikely to solve your
networking issues.

- Josh