How were 32-bit minis built in the 70s/80?

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Sun May 12 02:16:11 CDT 2019

Also in the UK GEC used AMD2900 IC's for some of the GEC4000 series. Some details here:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEC_4000_series

we used them in NERC (Natural Environment Research Council, www.nerc.ac.uk) as both X.25 packet switches and as general purpose computers in which role they were universally hated as the Fortran compiler was ANSI compliant in the draconian sense of the word and the scientists were used to DIGITAL Fortran which had many extensions.

Some history of the JANET network here:-

https://www.jisc.ac.uk/sites/default/files/janet-news-24-pull-out-april-2014.pdf

Dave