Pleas ID this IBM system....

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon May 20 16:29:20 CDT 2019

> On May 20, 2019, at 5:21 PM, Patrick Finnegan via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 5:07 PM William Donzelli via cctalk <
> cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>>> I'm used to 2' (24") raised floors.
>>
>> I was used to 24 inch floors packed with so many dead cables they were
>> effectively 6 to 12 inch floors. Or worse.
>>

> This gets at exactly the reason I dislike raised floors.... "out of sight -
> out of mind".  If all of the cabling is overhead, it gets ugly when you
> abandon stuff, and there's more motivation to not make it a mess.

Perhaps, but I remember seeing overhead cable trays running down the hallways in the DEC Mill, full of ancient and obviously abandoned stuff.

> Also, I'd rather see all of the parts, rather than have them hidden from
> view.  I suppose that not everyone shares that point of view.

Raised floors often doubled as air handling space, supplying cold air for cooling the equipment.

Overhead trays work well for rack mounted equipment, where the trays hang just above the racks.  When the equipment is in cabinets of varying height, like line printers or RP06 disk drives or stuff like that, running the cable way up in the air isn't so handy.  Never mind the fact that the connectors are configured to send the cable downward to the floor, not up to the ceiling.

	paul