Process accounting - did anyone ever use it?

Thomas Kula kula at tproa.net
Thu May 30 14:38:20 CDT 2019

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 11:30:51AM -0600, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> (Credit the Quotas thread for prompting this.)
>
> Did anyone ever use process accounting?  Did they actually bill departments
> (funny money)?

When I was an undergrad at Drake University the 'academic' VAX, running
VMS 6.mumble, would spit out a monthly accounting report on the DEC
laser printer we had attached to the thing. One of my many jobs was
working the counter where the printer was at, and I was often amused by
how many thousands of dollars I had spent in CPU time that month.

I don't think they did anything with it - if so, my student loans would
have been way way worse than they were - and suspect it was set up when
the thing was originally an 11/750 and carried through the 4000-600 it
was when I was using it and when they shut it off (incidentially, it's
now sitting in my apartment). I think the only real use for the report
was to provide a baseline printer paper order each month....

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula at tproa.net | https://kula.tproa.net/