Process accounting - did anyone ever use it?

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Fri May 31 10:04:14 CDT 2019

From: "Grant Taylor via cctalk" <cctalk at classiccmp.org> To:
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2019 1:30:51 PM
Subject: Process accounting - did anyone ever use it?

 >(Credit the Quotas thread for prompting this.)
 >Did anyone ever use process accounting? Did they actually
bill departments
 >(funny money)? I was always intrigued by process
accounting, but never had a use
 >for it myself. I guess I can thank process accounting for
causing the discrepancy
 >that Cliff Stole tracked down that became The Cuckoo's
Egg. :-)
Not exactly sure what you are asking about, but if you mean
run time accounting to bill users, then we did this on one
system I managed. We depended on the other department's
contributions to fund the total expenses of the machine
(purchase price plus software and hardware maintenance
contracts), which were pretty expensive on a VAX 11/780.
Somewhere, deep in the bowels of the University's accounting
department, they transferred several thousand $ of "real
money" per month to our account.  The bill varied depending
on how much CPU time they used.  I wrote some DCL scripts to
roll over the accounting file daily, and then break it down
by user and compute a $ amount based on a formula that had
been agreed upon.

It is Clifford Stoll, IIRC.

Jon