UniBone: Linux-to-DEC-UNIBUS-bridge, year #1

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Nov 15 16:08:44 CST 2019

> On Nov 15, 2019, at 4:58 PM, W2HX via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> This is interesting indeed. But if someone wanted to emulate a new function with the QSIC, would they need to be able to program in verilog (or fpga language)? I think an interesting angle using something like a BBB is that there is probably a range of languages that could be used to implement functionality. I don't know how many people know how to program an FPGA (or maybe a lot of peope do, but just not me :)
>
> 73 es GUD DX Eugene W2HX

Speaking as a software guy who's gotten into this stuff: it isn't all that hard.  It does require learning a new language (Verilog or VHDL; I picked the latter).  And it requires learning a somewhat different mindset.  Instead of writing sequences of actions where most of the time you have just one thread, you're describing all the things that all the building blocks can do as they react to inputs.  Also, you have to learn that outputs don't instantaneously appear as inputs -- VHDL calls these "signals" and models the fact that they don't become visible until the next simulation cycle.

There are simulators around that let you run VHDL (or Verilog, I assume, but I haven't done that).  Some are open source -- look at GHDL.  I've used that to create quite large models (including parts of a CDC 6600).

In other words: give it a try.  You might like it.

	paul