UniBone: Linux-to-DEC-UNIBUS-bridge, year #1

W2HX w2hx at w2hx.com
Sat Nov 16 18:56:29 CST 2019

Is the BBB not fast enough to do Qbus? Meaning, for qbus, would a FPGA be necessary? Or was this just the op's choice among many possible options?

It does seem useful to have this thing run linux and ethernet and be able to pass files (data and programs) back and forth very easily. the FPGA approach seems more technically challenging but seems less universal (to my limited mind).  It would seem a BBB you could load software, test, and reload as easily as copying some executable code (I dont know if that is correct or an over simplification). whereas the FPGA sounds like it needs to be recompiled/re-burned each time?

I dont know whether an RPi could work or if the BBB is needed for speed etc.

Eugene