3270 controller simulation

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Tue Nov 19 09:19:59 CST 2019

On 11/18/2019 6:42 PM, Al Kossow via cctech wrote:

> I find it interesting that the field of comms interoperability with IBM mainframes was huge up until TCP/IP
> took over, and all traces of the software implementations have disappeared or were consolidated into a couple
> like Micro Focus.

At first other TCP implementations were superior to IBMs.  We did a bid
back in the day (don't remember the exact year).  Jupiter (a division of
Intel by then) won it with their channel attached multi-bus based
implementation.  It had tn3270 access from our Unix workstations and VAXen.

Before that (in 1986) we also had an Interlink 3711 channel attached
DECnet interface that ran on RSX-11 so that our VAXen could communicate
with our mainframes.  I don't recall it doing 3270 access from the
VAXen, but I think we could log on to the VAXen from our 3270 in
line-by-line mode.

JRJ