Question about "Distributed" in the DFT name.

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 05:49:03 CST 2019

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 at 19:24, Grant Taylor via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 11/18/19 11:10 AM, Paul Koning wrote:
>
> > For example, I'm not sure anyone would call VMS an open system, yet
> > clearly it's distributed (VAXcluster).
>
> What is "open" in this context?  Is it open source?  Is it open
> communications protocols?  (As in OSI / POSIX.)  Is it something else?

It was a FAQ once.

http://www.rcnp.osaka-u.ac.jp/Divisions/CN/computer/vms/faq/vms_faq_0009.txt

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/48503/openvms

"VAX/VMS" was renamed "VAX VMS" and then was renamed OpenVMS when the
Alpha version came out and it wasn't a VAX-specific product any more.

_Ostensibly_ the reason was that this release had POSIX API
compliance, and a bunch of POSIX tools, optionally available free of
charge -- I think that before that, this cost extra.

Really, I cynically suspect it's because just the 3 letters wasn't
enough to trademark. After all VAX is probably better known as a brand
of vacuum cleaner, outside of old-timer IT circles.