8 inch floppies

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sat Oct 26 16:42:16 CDT 2019

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019, John Foust via cctalk wrote:
> And what media or method did they upgrade to?  Top secret?
> Here's a different version of the story:
> <https://www.c4isrnet.com/air/2019/10/17/the-us-nuclear-forces-dr-strangelove-era-messaging-system-finally-got-rid-of-its-floppy-disks/>https://www.c4isrnet.com/air/2019/10/17/the-us-nuclear-forces-dr-strangelove-era-messaging-system-finally-got-rid-of-its-floppy-disks/

Thanks for the URL
Amusing that requiring repair technicians having ability to "solder metal"
was one of the major problems.

The USUAL progression from 8" floppies was to 35 track (later 40 track)
single sided (later double) FM single density (later MFM) 48tpi (later
96tpi) 5.25".
But, an easier conversion would be straight to "1.2M", which would need
few hardware changes other than a custom cable.
(In fact, the first Mitsubishi 1.2M drive that I got had a 50 pin
connector; later 4854s had a 34 pin connector)

But, why not cards or paper tape?

Or, if they want to expand speed and capacity, ST506, or even ST412.

They could go to thumb drives, such as Stuxnet

Or, was the main goal to give it a publicly accessible IP address?
("War Games" is playing on MPLEX right now)

Besides convenient recreational Facebook access for staff technicians, why
is web browsing implemented on MRI control computers or on WOPR?

BTW, the superceded drives and media will remain "classified" until they
crumble, and our surplus channels will not get a sudden major influx of
available media.