UNIBUS FTGH: EMM / CMU MICRORAM memories &

Guy Sotomayor Jr ggs at shiresoft.com
Tue Sep 17 11:13:53 CDT 2019

> On Sep 17, 2019, at 8:17 AM, Stefan Skoglund <stefan.skoglund at agj.net> wrote:
>
> mån 2019-09-16 klockan 11:17 -0700 skrev Guy Sotomayor Jr via cctalk:
>>
>> And that’s just the HW.  Hydra (the OS that ran on C.MMP) was a
>> capability based system (so you needed the proper capability to do
>> anything).  I recall at one point the grad student who was doing work
>> on the file system, “lost” the root capability to the file system…so
>> it was no longer possible to create new file systems.
>>

> Which also means that for boot-strap you need to create a correct fully
> populated binary dump of all the file system in the system.
> A dump which is sane which regards to capabilities and user
> capabilities ....
>
> It is a little like kick-starting a database system ie writing the
> system database (pg_system) into such a state that is it possible to
> correctly run for example:
> ---
> create tablespace 'stefan';
> create schema 'pg';
> ---
> and so on…

The problem (and I’d be thrilled to be wrong) is that the probability of having
a binary dump of Hydra is 0 for small values of 0.  Part of the issue is that the
C.MMP has a few RP06 drives (4-6?).  If it were ever saved, it would have to
be to 9-track tapes and I don’t recall any sort of backup facilities.  The RP06
packs *might* still be around but I wouldn’t hold out too much hope for them
either.

TTFN - Guy