DEC OS/8 Question (getting an error TOO BIG INIT)

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 15:54:35 CDT 2020

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 1:34 PM Bill Degnan via cctech <cctech at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> D.F. TOO BIG INIT  0000
> I'd really like to understand what this error means if
> anyone knows.

That stands for "data field too big", i.e., too much data to fit in 4KW.
That's as opposed to "instruction field", which if too big would mean that
there's too much code.
Although I used OS/8 Fortran in the distant past, I never tried to compile
large Fortran programs or programs that used much data, so I don't know
what it takes to solve that problem. Maybe there is some way to get Fortran
to use more than one 4KW field for data, issuing the necessary CDF
instructions to switch data fields?