VAXmate PSU

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 10 08:47:19 CDT 2020

I have found the problem and a possible other problem too.

I have discovered that D24 is shorted (no visible damage), although its twin D23 is not. I will replace both. I know it is shorted because I lifted one end.

I have also checked the rectifiers, D11 and D12. I am not sure if there is a possible problem here too.

D12 is an MBR3045PT. It tests correctly as a common cathode diode network. However, the forward voltage seems to be 0.19V. The datasheet (https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/53622/FAIRCHILD/MBR3045PT.html) would suggest it should be 0.76V at room temperature. I can see no physical damage to it though.

D11 is marked PHS 2402. It too tests correctly as a common cathode diode network, with a forward voltage of 0.43V. I can't find a datasheet for it though, but I believe the equivalent is MUR1610CT (https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/82128/ONSEMI/MUR1610CT.html) and I think the forward voltage for that should be 0.9V. Again no physical damage that I can see.

Is it possible both rectifiers are marginal? Or at least D12? Should I replace one or both?

Thanks

Rob