VAXmate PSU

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 09:15:31 CDT 2020

> I have found the problem and a possible other problem too.

But that is great!

> I have discovered that D24 is shorted (no visible damage), although its
> twin D23 is not. I will replace both. I know it is shorted because I lifted
> one end.

Well, sometime there are no visible damage but still a smell.

> I have also checked the rectifiers, D11 and D12. I am not sure if there is
> a possible problem here too.
>
> D12 is an MBR3045PT. It tests correctly as a common cathode diode network.
> However, the forward voltage seems to be 0.19V. The datasheet (
> https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/53622/FAIRCHILD/MBR3045PT.html)
> would suggest it should be 0.76V at room temperature. I can see no physical
> damage to it though.

The point is that the measurement in the data sheet is with 20A forward
current. You meter perhaps give 10 mA forward current. This is a Schottky
rectifier it has very low Vf.
0.19 is completely normal.

> D11 is marked PHS 2402. It too tests correctly as a common cathode diode
> network, with a forward voltage of 0.43V. I can't find a datasheet for it
> though, but I believe the equivalent is MUR1610CT (
> https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/82128/ONSEMI/MUR1610CT.html)
> and I think the forward voltage for that should be 0.9V. Again no physical
> damage that I can see.
>
> Is it possible both rectifiers are marginal? Or at least D12? Should I
> replace one or both?

No. At this point replace just D24 and possibly D23. Actually I don't think
it is necessary. But to be on the safe side it might be a good idea.

But the question is why it failed. Sometimes they fail because of just
nothing. But it could be something in the network following it that had
made it fail. Check that there are no short circuit in the LM317 regulator.
Check output capacitors in this area. ESR and value.

/Mattis